Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Matriux on Virtual Box  (Read 16236 times)
Neo
Tester
RegMem

« on: December 28, 2009, 03:52:58 AM »

VirtualBox is an x86 virtualization software package, originally created by German software company Innotek, now developed by Sun Microsystems as part of its Sun xVM virtualization platform. It is installed on an existing host operating system; within this application, additional operating systems, each known as a Guest OS, can be loaded and run, each with its own virtual environment.
Source: VirtualBoxwiki

Step 1
--------

Goto Matriux download page and download the ISO image of latest version of Matriux by clicking on the link which says Click here to download the ISO Image.

Step 2
-----------

Goto VirtualBox download page and download the latest version according to your operating system.

Here our operating system is Windows 7, so we will be downloading Matriux from the link, which says "    * VirtualBox 3.1.2 for Windows hosts x86/amd64 "

Step 3
---------

Now install VirtualBox onto your system by double clicking on its icon

Step 4
---------

This is the installer welcome screen of VirtualBox, you can continue the installation by clicking on the Next button on the bottom right hand side

Step 5
---------

End User License Agreement
Read the license carefully
If you are okey with the license, select the radio button which says " I accept the terms in the License Agreement" and then click on the "Next" button to continue the installation

Step 6
----------

In this step, you can tell VirtualBox, where to install its files
if you are ok with the default location, click on Next button

Step 7
---------

Here you can choose, where to keep the shortcuts to the VirtualBox
Normally it will come on desktop and quick launch bar

Step 8
------------

For setting up the VirtualBox properly, it will reset all the network connections on the system. So close all your browsers, download manager, chat clients etc before clicking on Yes button

Step 9
----------

Now you are ready to install VirtualBox onto your system
If you want to change any installation settings by going back, do that now or never  Wink

Step 10
-----------

Installation starts
Sit back and relax

Step 11
-----------

VirtualBox is asking your permission to install USB drivers, this drivers are necessary for your guest operating system to access USB ports, so allow VirtualBox to install this driver

Step 12
---------

Now VirtualBox wants your permission for installing network adapters, allow it install it, so that you can enjoy network shares and internet on your guest OS

Step 13
------------

VirtualBox would like to install network services like DHCP on your system, so that guest OS can get IPs, internet etc
Allow it to do so

Step 14
----------

Now VirtualBox wants your permission for installing network adapters, allow it install it, so that you can enjoy network shares and internet on your guest OS

Step 15
-----------

VirtualBox installation completed.!  Grin

Step 16
------------
VirtualBox registration form, its free and its optional

Step 17
-----------

Now click on top left blue icon which says "New" to create new virtual machine

Step 18
-----------

This is the welcome screen of new virtual machine wizard, click on Next button to continue

Step 19
----------

Name your virtual machine, here I named it "Matriux"
Select operating system as "Linux"
Select operating system version as "Ubuntu"

Step 20
-----------

Here you can specify the RAM size of virtual machine

Step 21
----------

You can configure hard disk for virtual machine here
Since it is the first time, we are going to make a virtual machine, we will choose the option to create a new hard disk

Step 22
-----------

This is the welcome screen to create a new virtual hard disk

Step 23
-----------

Here you can choose the type of storage, dynamically expanding type storage will consume your original HDD space according to the file size of Guest OS, while Fixed storage size will reserve the space from your original HDD
Here we will go for "Dynamically Expanding storage"

Step 24
------------

Here you can specify the name and maximum storage area for this virtual hard disk

Step 25
----------

Click on Finish button to complete the Virtual Hard disk wizard

Step 26
------------

Click on Finish button to complete the new virtual machine wizard

Step 27
----------

Now click on top left yellow button which says "Settings" to further configure the virtual machine

Step 28
----------

This are the various Settings for your virtual machine

Step 29
------------

Click on CD/DVD-ROM tab on the left side

Step 30
-----------

Click on the "ISO Image File" radio button and then on the yellow folder icon next to the field which says "<no media>"

Step 31
----------

This is the Virtual Media Manager
Click on Add button to add ISO files

Step 32
----------

Virtual Media Manager will open a new window, so that you can select an ISO image

Step 33
-----------

Point it to the Matriux ISO image you downloaded

Step 34
-----------

Click on Select button

Step 35
-----------
Click on "OK" button

Step 36
----------

Click on the green Start button

Step 37
-----------

Read this integration notes and press on OK button

Step 38
-----------

Ignore this warning by clicking on OK button

Step 39
----------

Simply press enter to continue

Step 40
---------

Login Screen
User name: tiger
Password: toor

Step 41
----------

KDE is loading....

Step 42
-----------

Now you are in Matriux

Step 43
----------

Goto KDE Menu > System > Konsole Terminal

Step 44
------------

Type
Code:
sudo ubiquity
and press enter

Provide the password: toor

Step 45
-----------

Choose your installation language

Step 46
------------

Select your timezone

Step 47
----------

Select your keyboard layout

Step 48
----------

Preparing disk space, allow it to use entire disk

Step 49
------------
Fill the form, choose password

Step 50
-----------

If your password is weak, you will get this message

Step 51
-----------

Click on Install button

Step 52
----------

Sit back and relax

Step 53
----------

Installation completed, click on "Restart Now"

Step 54
------------

At this point, close the window and goto the Settings

Step 55
-----------

Goto CD/DVD-ROM tab

Step 56
------------

Click on the Host CD/DVD Drive radio button

Step 57
----------

Now Start the virtual machine again

Step 58
----------

Provide your user name and password

Step 59
-----------

Voila.! You are in Smiley
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:12:40 AM by Neo »Logged

Author Topic: Matriux on Virtual Box(Read 16236 times)
eHopp

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:33:12 AM »

Thanks for a good tutorial on installing Matriux in VirtualBox. I also use this as a platform to run Matriux and I thought I would chime in with how to get the Guest Additions running.

Once Matriux has been installed and you have rebooted the VM, in the VM menu bar click devices and then "Install Guest Additions". you will get a pop-up in the VM notifying you that a disk has been inserted. Open a konsole terminal (start>system>Konsole Terminal) and then enter:

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media

You should get a message like "mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only"

Ubuntu doesn't come with the necessary tools to build kernel modules and such, so you will first have to install them. you can do this from the konsole terminal by typing in:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic

EDIT: You may get some error messages from apt during this stage, don't worry about it and continue with the next step.
and when that is done:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic

(or for a more portable method)
sudo apt-get -s install linux-headers-`uname -r`

EDIT: I mad a mistake here, I was using the -s switch for testing. It doesn't belong there. That tells apt to do a dry run. The command should be:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

once you have installed all that, you can invoke the Guest Additions installer:

sudo /media/VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run (for the x86 version)

Hopefully it will give some messages about building headers and such, then prompt you to reboot. Go ahead and reboot the VM.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that when it boots back up, it may seem to stall at a console login window. Don't enter anything there... just give it time and the window may resize some and the GUI login should kick in.
When it starts back up you can verify the proper install by dragging the corner of the window... when guest additions are installed, the desktop will resize dynamically to a resized VM window. You will also be able to do things like copy and paste between host and guest, and use the shared folder feature (right click folder icon in bottom of VM window, click shared folders, click the add button, choose a path, then within a konsole terminal on the guest, type "sudo mount -t vboxsf sharedFoldername /media").

Once you have the Guest Additions correctly installed, I highly suggest backing up the VDI file for the Matriux VM. I have found this better than using the snapshot feature, because (on my system) having a differencing snapshot active can really kill performance. At least with a backup VDI, you can restore to a point where you have the GA's installed if something bad happens.

A couple notes on bugginess within VirtualBox... on rare occasions when starting the VM I would get an error about some kind of checksum problem and it wouldn't start, but if I just shut it down and restarted, everything would be ok. As far as the networking.... I have eth0 on my VM set to NAT, and eth1 set to internal network. The NAT seems to lose it's mind when you close the machine and save state, then restart it... in order to have NAT work you have to sudo dhclient when you restore the machine. If you actually turn the machine off, this shouldn't be a problem. If I recall correctly, to get the internal network to function properly, you have to add a dhcp server using the VBoxManage cli... see the help file for details.

I hope this helps someone... if there are any questions about it, just ask.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:21:55 PM by eHopp »Logged

Neo
Tester
RegMem

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »

Good post, eHopp
I was just thinking of how to explain the installation of Guest additions in a simple manner and you have done that beautifully  Smiley
Keep it up.!!!

L30
Team Lead
RegMem

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »

i guess
Code:
sudo apt-get install dkms

will do all the necessary to install the guest addition dependencies  Tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: