Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Matriux vs Backtrack  (Read 26603 times)
McKittrick

« on: June 04, 2009, 05:01:53 PM »

hello

i just stumbled upon this sweet lil' OS/toolkit a few days ago and it definitely impresses me. i am curious though...how does this differ from Backtrack that already boasts many of the same setup and tools?

last question i would have pertaining to this program:
would there be a way to individually or mass update each utility or to remove ones that are outdated? (examples:unicornscan/hping/ICMPush/etc...no progress or updates since 2003/4)

Author Topic: Matriux vs Backtrack(Read 26603 times)
Matriux Admin
Team Lead
RegMem

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:22:57 AM »

Hello McKittrick,

Welcome to Matriux Community and thank you so much for joining our community forum.

This is one of the first questions that we faced when we came up with the concept of a new security distribution. The answer is simple:
  • Following the true spirit of Open Source / GNU / Linux - freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve.
  • Learning by doing
  • Ideas, Concepts, Thinking – Ideas can change the world and we believe Matriux is our way to contribute towards the security community.

How does this differ from βacktrack or other security distro?

There are already many security / forensics distro’s in the industry, including βt, helix, dvl to name few. Matriux will also join the family soon. Difference – conceptually, most of the core tools will remain the same, however, the community will add more custom tools / scripts and modules to make it powerful and unique. Also, the distro will contain a windows binary section consisting of a number of open source, stand alone (installation not required) security tools that can be run from a Windows environment, which makes it different from other security distros.

Outdated tools

Efforts will definitely be there from Matriux community to update or revamp selected tools based on community preferences and other factors. Legacy tools may find place in Matriux for educational and research purposes. However they will be marked or segmented so that they don’t mix with the most frequently used

I hope I have answered your questions. If you need further information, feel free to post it here.

Team Matriux

McKittrick

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 07:47:10 PM »

thank you for replying!

one thing i first noticed about this toolkit you offer us in the net-sec world are the types of tools you normally don't find on other sec OS systems. most all come with your standard nmaps and netcats, but you also include the types of "toys" i am interested in. things that most beginners/"kiddies" can't easily use. tools that perform advanced route injection and packet crafting (ie:HSRP injection/IDRP spoofer/ASS for BGP/AS scanning/etc). that is my world. i like to bite into the kinds of stuff that those who take this life seriously use (not just scanning and looking for trojans like the kids down the block!)

i would like to ask about a tool i failed to see mentioned in the list that goes along with the above. a guy named Phenoelit offers a route injection suite known as IRPAS. i beleive it uses all of the routing protocols like OSPF/RIP/IGRP/EIGRP/etc. i would also like to know if this OS will have any ability to run advanced firewalling utilities like IPTABLES and SMOOTHWALL

i will continue to stay informed and cannot wait to see this puppy come to fruition!

Matriux Admin
Team Lead
RegMem

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:27:03 AM »

Hello McKittrick,

Thanks once again for your interest and continue support.

Yes we are looking for a comprehensive list of tool kit for the security community. And if you look at the tool list (we call it arsenal) you can see that the IRPAS tool kit is already there.  Infact one of our teaser videos feature the compiling of IRPAS source. You can have a look at it here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTlXKItVxMg. The lists of tools currently added under IRPAS are as follows:
  • cdp,
  • igrp,
  • irdp,
  • irdpresponder,
  • ass,
  • file2cable,
  • itrace,
  • tctrace,
  • netenum,
  • netmask,
  • protos,
  • hsrp

As far as advanced firewalling utilities are concerned, right now we have IPTABLES in. However, we can also look into the possibility of having a “flavor” with SMOOTHWALL. Thank you so much for your suggestion. Let us know if you have more suggestions and tool list to add to the arsenal.

McKittrick

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »

thanks for the correction on that. i must have not seen it. i would like to mention one thing that worries me though about this soon-to-be-relased toolkit:

i hope it does not get "bogged down" with many tools that all seem to do the same function. the first thing i noticed when i got linux for the first time was how you get 5 browsers, 10 email utilities, etc. that was a major turnoff! i would hope this OS has a look and feel that is open and not bloated in terms of tools. i think the problem with many distributions i have seen is that they all try and please everyone. in some cases, that usually hinders performance in my opinion. i would rather see A FEW scanners, and a COUPLE packet crafting tools, etc. for example, you wouldn't need to include the tools NEMESIS/NETCAT/HPING/ICMPUSH because the new NCAT and NPING (nmap netcat/ping) is soon to replace the need for them. that offers the same ability for the same type of packet payloads and it offers the same command line switches (if not more)

i am just hoping that one really looks at what tools are TRULY NEEDED as opposed to what the kids want. i also am curious what types of debuggers you might offer. i know it is next to impossible to offer us the 1,000$ CANVAS or CORE IMPACT, but you know as well as i, true hacking/pen testing/datamining/etc all comes down to the actual raw code and being able to manipulate it. i guess GDB that comes standard might work but i would love to see something more elaborate

lastly, does this board and it's members sleep all week? i might see 1 or 2 posts a week and i notice that there are over 300 members! maybe they are all just lurking about...

thanks again.
M K

Aks
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »

|==================================|

Well to be frank enough, it would be hard
to fight with backtraq. Its actually too cool
and mostly is heavily elite

|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++<

L30
Team Lead
RegMem

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 03:26:53 AM »

backtrack is cool.
but ...........
we havent had a glance at matriux.. so lets wait  Cheesy :Smiley

and not to mention Matriux is not competing with BT ..its just we are following the free spirit
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:25:50 PM by L30 »Logged

Matriux Admin
Team Lead
RegMem

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:14:08 PM »

|==================================|

Well to be frank enough, it would be hard
to fight with backtraq. Its actually too cool
and mostly is heavily elite

|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++<

Hey Aks,

Is it anywhere mentioned that Matriux is fighting with any of the existing distro?

We just following the spirit of *n?x.

gaffin

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:32:03 AM »

Dear Admin,

The beauty of MATRUIX will be only on one stuff, thats how easy to install on a hard disk /pen drive and start using. If U can make sweet simple, everyone is going to love it.

Eagerly waiting for the  OS. Smiley

Neo
Tester
RegMem

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 10:19:03 PM »

Dear Admin,

The beauty of MATRUIX will be only on one stuff, thats how easy to install on a hard disk /pen drive and start using. If U can make sweet simple, everyone is going to love it.

!=

Linux is Not Windows

Matriux Admin
Team Lead
RegMem

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 08:35:21 AM »

Dear Admin,

Hey gaffin,

A simple installation of Matriux can be completed in just six simple steps. See the How To - Matriux Hard Disk Installation for a step by step tutorial

Team Matriux

hyperlogin
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 05:27:58 AM »

How to get the beta version of matriux ?

Tiger-222
Team Lead
RegMem

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 08:23:41 AM »

A link will be add very soon Wink

" owt WEE-am in-WEH-nee-am owt FAH-kee-am "

L30
Team Lead
RegMem

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 09:50:32 AM »

Matriux beta (Code name Lithium) release has been scheduled at the Club Hack 2009 (5th December 2009) so everyone awaiting for the release , here is the good news 
                        Club Hack 2009
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:53:40 AM by prajwal »Logged

shad0w_crash

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »

I'm curious about Matriux, I somewhere saw that the aim was also to provide a scripting platform for auditing. Is there allready a place to commit usefull scripts?

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: